Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Clovis found near Dietz Site & another Lake County

Clovis found near Dietz Site & another Lake County 2 years 5 months ago #50605

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 597
This Clovis point below was found by Frank and Alice Estergreen in the 1950's in the vicinity of the Dietz Clovis site near Alkali Lake in Oregon. A trace element analysis was done on this projectile point and it was determined that the Obsidian source was Glass Butte, Oregon.

ClovisDietzObsidian.jpg

There is also a long narrow flake removed at the tip of the point on one side that measures 11/16 inch (1.7 cm) long. This may be an impact fracture. This Clovis point is made of semi-translucent black Obsidian and it measures 3 3/8 inches (8.5 cm) long.The side with the largest channel flake has the most abrasion. This channel flake measures 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm) long and 5/8 inch (1.5 cm) wide.This fluted point has "hafting abrasion scratches" in the hafting area. A small percentage of Obsidian Clovis points have these scratches. This "roughening" of the slick surface would have helped to secure the projectile point more solidly to the shaft. Roughening of the hafting area on Obsidian Clovis points has been observed over a wide area in the western U.S. Some of the original hafting glue or "mastic" was discovered in the hafting abrasions on a Clovis point found in Oregon.

ClovisLakeCountyOregonRoughflute.jpg

The pictures below show the original Clovis point from Lake County, Oregon.
clovisLakeCountyOrl.jpg

Information & Pictures: Lithic Casting Labs.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by greywolf22.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDhunter, gregszybala

Re: Clovis found near Dietz Site & another Lake County 2 years 5 months ago #50717

• rmartin
  • from the great state of confusion
  • Thank you received: 4091
Definitely one of the all time greats!
Sometimes I can.....sometimes I can't....Sometimes I just don't try

Re: Clovis found near Dietz Site & another Lake County 2 years 5 months ago #50743

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 597
rmartin wrote:
Definitely one of the all time greats!

Martin

That is a nice one.

Jack
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds