Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How deep

How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16283

• Lakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm curious. If I am finding archaic artifacts on the surface on sand ground, how deep beyond the plow zone would the site likely produce. Does the freeze thaw bring items up to the surface or is it mostly the deep chisel and the soil finisher? Like I say I am on mostly sand ground.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16292

• Butch Wilson
  • Thank you received: 1181
Hey Jon,
I have a similar situation here, I too am in a sandy area and find archaic artifacts on the surface. I would think it would depend on a lot of factors, erosion, soil buildup over time, flooding and in general how much this area has been moved around. I put on a 2 bottom turning plow set as deep as my little 8-n will pull it and turn up points with it.
Good luck
Butch

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16297

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 596
Lakeman

When water turns into ice underground, it expands. This can make the ground move, causing frost heave. Frost heave lifts up the ground, as well as everything on top of it. Frost heave can be strong enough to move and damage roads, bridges, and buildings so it can move a rock or artifact without much problem.

Jack

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16302

• Lakeman
Then most artifacts we find on the surface would be at best only as deep as the frostline. Then anything under that could be hidden forever unless you were to dig for it. Is small scale digging productive for anyone here at known sites like these I have or are you better off scouring the ground in the spring before the crops are up?

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16304

• greywolf22
Lakeman

That is correct if below the frost line then it would not be part of the frost heave and you would have to dig for it unless there is a heavy rain and wash outs then the artifact can turn up. If there is a layer of clay under the sand that the water cannot penetrate the artifact cannot settle below this so its moved around between this layer and upward.

An artifact can be part of the frost heave for thousands of years and because of this the artifact is smoothed by the process, all the sharp edges are rounded over and all crushing & loose hinges caused in manufacturing is popped off for the most part. It is like being put in a rock polisher but only in slow motion.

For the most part all artifacts were once on top of the soil and over thousands of years got covered over by nature, the older the point the deeper it is normaly found except in the case of frost heave areas or areas that flood and stuff gets tossed around by the water.

Jack
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by greywolf22.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16313

• Lakeman
Well since there is no bottom to the sand hills I am on who knows how deep the artifacts lie. Thanks Jack

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16315

• greywolf22
Lakeman

You can do a test pit but a sand hole is hard to keep open unless you have some type of sides that are strong and can hold it back.

Some of the paleo that was found on the Gault site in Texas was below 10ft down. The Gault site was camped on by the natives for over 13,000 years.

Jack

Re:How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16357

• gregszybala
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Smile, it won't hurt!
  • Thank you received: 2847
Okay Butch, how deep can that 8n handle, used to have a 9n and she could work, but really not a lot of ba**s! Really had to play her to get it done, whatever it was!
Don't mean to hijack the discussion, just had to ask.

Re:How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16441

• Lakeman
You know that is a great idea. Both sites i hunt are not more than 5 acres and 3 acres of high probability.

Hey I bet the farmer would let me plow the 5 acre and 3 acre high probability sites myself with my M. Or pay him to do it. Stir the pot as they say.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16443

• Lakeman
Jack when digging a test hole how do you pick the spot to dig? Do you just throw a dart in the middle of the campsite or is there a more refined way of pinpointing the spot.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16460

• gregszybala
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Smile, it won't hurt!
  • Thank you received: 2847
Youv'e got nothing to lose by asking! Maybe alot to gain.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16476

• greywolf22
Lakeman

If you have an area that is producing I would dig anywhere in that area. I used to dig 24" x 24" test hole going down 3 ft. If we found anything we went larger and deeper.

Its good to have a backhoe. Bill Arnold digs with a backhoe and some of his hole are over 10 ft deep & 30 ft wide.

Jack
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by greywolf22.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16479

• Lakeman
i think i would rather dig slowly in a horizontal fashion then vertically. Anything below 10" has never seen a plowblade or disk. In the sand it would be easy to start by staking out a row say 2' wide by 10'long and 2 foot deep and shovel and sift that easily in a few hours to a day with the wife and twins giving a hand.

Re: How deep 3 years 3 months ago #16480

• greywolf22
Lakeman

That would work also. Anyway you dig will work if you turn up the dirt that has been producing artifacts.

Jack
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds