Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Large round rock with face carved into it--

Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19062

Hey, anybody seen anything like this before?? It measures roughly 20" in circumfrence and 8" diamter. The pic really does it no justice as in person the detail is more prominent. It was found in the 1930's during the excavation for building the Davis Dam near Bullhead City, Arizona. The old man I got it from had gotten it from the wife of the gentleman sho found it when he was working on the project. Any ideas as to where it may have come from or whom? Any help is appreciated..
May_June_2011_004.JPG
May_June_2011_003.JPG
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by fairflower.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19063

Re: Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19070

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 595
FF

Need to see a picture. I may be able to give you some info.

Jack

Re: Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19115

• kansas
  • Thank you received: 113
posting a pic u need to resize it to 1800x1600.
u do this by browse right click on pic hit edit then in paint u click image then attributtess resize then save. or use paint bucket and paste. hope this helps would like to see it

Travis

Re: Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19154

Thank you so much, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it download... Thanks!!

Re: Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19155

• indianasmith
  • Thank you received: 12
It looks similar to the "Malakoff Heads" - three carved stone heads excavated from Pleistocene gravels in East Texas many, many years ago.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19188

• CMD
  • Thank you received: 2974
Indy, I had never heard of the Malakoff heads. So I ran a search and found photos of 2 of them, but not the 3rd. There is a link at this page that takes you to more info from a University of Illinois archaeologist.

www.utexas.edu/tmm/exhibits/glen_evans/a.../malakoff_heads.html

fairflower, to my eyes at least your rock looks like an artifact, not a geofact. The 2 eyes seem too much alike and intentional, a browridge above the eyes. But it would be great if you could move it around in different lighting situations and see if you can get a photo that highlights what looks like features on a face. I'm no pro with a camera, but try shining light from the side, etc., whatever might enhance those features to give a better idea. Just a suggestion.

Charlie
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by CMD.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19200

Ya, I had never heard of the Malakoff heads either, I also ran a search on them. Thanks Indy for the idea!

Charlie, it's at my mother in laws house and I will have to ask her to take a few more pics. I know it is hard to see in the pic, but there are creases (wrinkles) for the forehead, there are also actually eyelashes and teeth as well. The rock itself looks to have been tooled to be round as well, not like it is was naturally round and a face got carved/etched in, know what I mean? I have been baffled by it for sometime and someone at a western artifact had told me about this forum. He had no idea at all about it.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19204

• Hoss
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3201
Hmmmmmm! Interesting indeed! A striking similarity wouldn't you say?
homer.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Hoss.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19205

• Hoss
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3201
Just kidding about the Homer Simpson look alike! It does look a little like Limestone. Is there a hole in the underside? Could be an old Garden Ornament! Maybe even a Spherehead. Looks to perfect to be like the Malakoff heads.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19214

HaHaHa Hoss! Thanks for the giggle! No theres no hole....I don't think it's limestone... Will get back to you on that.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19285

The rock type is alabaster.. A geologist friend of mine was able to identify the rock type for me. He thought maybe it had originally come out of a cave which in some cases can form in round "balls". He thought maybe it had been found in such form and then carved into the face. He was so intrigued by it because he did not believe this rock type was in the area that this "head" was found.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19292

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 595
These type of heads were used at the entrance to native villages in the Northwest and were called screaming heads, that were suppose to keep the village safe from harm. A large goodluck charm.

This one was found in Oregon.
Fantastic_Stuff_1-20110627.jpg

Your item:
Screaming_Man_Rock_.jpg

Jack
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by greywolf22.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19294

• ZmajSnoshaj
  • Thank you received: 19
Reminds of the artifacts I've seen from Lepenski Vir in Serbia, along the Danube River. (6,000 BC).

[img size=640x480]upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/...-Lepenski_vir_11.jpg[/img]
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by ZmajSnoshaj.

Re:Large round rock with face carved into it-- 3 years 1 month ago #19300

• painshill
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 2437
I’m not qualified to comment on the carving, but I’ll say this about the material. Alabaster will certainly form in perfectly round concretions like that. We would normally refer to them by their mineral name – calcite concretions.
Essentially these kinds of concretions are spherical stalactites, except that they form around a nucleus of grit or a small pebble, exactly like an oyster pearl forms. When water drips through a limestone cave you get vertical stalactites and stalagmites. If the water is fast-moving enough and falling into a rock pool so the nucleus is constantly agitated, you get these perfectly round concretions. Sometimes they join together like bunches of grapes.
The surface of your rock shows the signs that it has been naturally formed in this way. You can see the concentric layering, so I suspect your geologist friend is right. We call these things “cave pearls”. Here’s some from a disused mine in Scotland, but they'll form anywhere if the conditions are right.

Typically they don’t get much bigger than a marble, so whoever originally found this one must have been very impressed by it. I haven’t seen any much bigger than a large grapefruit, so that one’s huge. Even without the carving, it’s a spectacular geological item.
Just be aware that these concretions sometimes absorb atmospheric pollutant gases and can disintegrate without warning! Yours looks old enough to have survived that possibility.

Roger
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds