Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fish Hook?

Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3412

• rellis1962
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am visiting my parents for the holidays and was looking through some of my dads arrowheads. My dad was very much into hunting and collecting when I was a kid. I have always been interested in this particular find pictured. It obviously looks to be some sort of a hook. I have been unable to find any info or pics of anything remotely similar. Any of you fellas have any ideas/info about it. By the way it was found in Eastland county, Texas.
hook.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by rellis1962.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3413

• Pullenrock
  • Thank you received: 6
Yes its a fishhook.Fine?.....oh my gosh!!!!!

Re: Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3414

• rellis1962
Not sure what you mean by "Fine?" I am going to post a few other pics and questions about pieces he found in his younger years as I get the pics.

Re: Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3415

• Pullenrock
  • Thank you received: 6
I means vey nice well worked flint piece..

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3418

• Neanderthal
  • Thank you received: 290
It's a modern reproduction. There has never been a "flint fish hook" quite like that one found in the archaeological records. And, there's a good reason for that. There was no sense to even attempt to make a flint fish hook. They had many other methods of fishing. Fish hooks could easily be made of bone, they were simple to make and worked far better than a stone one could.

Gorges were another fishing tool they used. Basically, they were just bi-pointed bone or shell pieces with a groove around the middle for tying cordage. The lozenge shaped gorge was turned parallel with the string with bait attached. When a fish took the bait, the line was yanked to turn the gorge sideways, impaling itself in the fish. Very effective means of fishing.

There were other methods of fishing as well (spears, arrows, traps), but flint fish hooks like that aren't known to be one of them. The flint hooks as well as "flint thunderbirds" all seem to be romantic notions of modern people but have no substantial part of the true archaeological record.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Neanderthal.

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3420

• rellis1962
Well, I'm not sure I agree with Neanderthal. I can't be 100% sure. I guess someone could have could have dropped the hook near a recently installed temporary electric pole for some poor schmuck to find. Anyways, my brother has been doing further research and has found a couple of threads on other forums discussing flint hooks. Seems to be about 50/50 on the existence of such a thing. Here are some links if you are interested. Can only say for my part that we didn't pick this one up in a novelty shop.

www.artifactsguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353

arrowheadology.com/forums/what-world/693...-i-think-anyway.html

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3421

• tomclark
  • Thank you received: 600
IHMOP, fake. Lots of documented history of fakery and sales of these and very rare similar objects authenticated. Most collectors will agree.
Professor Shellman

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3423

• rellis1962
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know how things like this could be authenticated? My dad has hundreds of artifacts that he has field-collected throughout the years. Some people have given him items because they new he was an avid collector. He has a pretty good eye for what is real but anyone can be fooled. As kids he took us out to show how to id what we called a camp ground. We learned a lot on those trips and found many artifacts.

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3424

• CliffJ
  • Mentor
  • Thank you received: 860
As Mr. Rowe said, there are no ancient stone fish hooks in America. There are tons of those modern hooks around though, made since the 1940s. While you still can do it, ask your Dad specifically which points he did not find himself, and note those. Stranger things have happened than someone planting fakes, but many times people would buy what they could not find. Nowhere in archaeological literature will you find proof that the stone fish hook ever existed other than in the imagination of modern knappers.

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3431

• tomclark
  • Thank you received: 600
The lesson here is that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch when it comes to a frame or an entire collection. That fish hook is Taint. I made ONE mistake, bought ONE point in my life and it was a fake, was in the center of a frame. I corrected that mistake and have not made another. Correct the mistakes from that collection, of course that can be done. You already started now.

:)
Professor Shellman

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3430

• Paleolution
  • Thank you received: 277
One thing you have to remember about hunter-gatherers is that they did things for a reason. Imagine waking up in the morning, and taking EVERYTHING you own with you to the next camp. Stone was absolutely necessary, but by no means was it the only material for tools available to them. I am no expert, but I have read up on a lot of what's being talked about on this site. I do know that there are thousands of organic material fish hooks out there. Don't you think it's strange that out of all the information out there, and all the collectors here, that this flint fish hook is so rare that you can't find any information on them? From your description, I am very much like your father. I am a collector, and people often come to me for help identifying their finds. I also have people give me various "artifacts", but I have found that some just don't know any better, and they feel that I will take better care of them than they will, so they give them to me. I am very careful about placing them with my personal finds, I would never mix them because of this very reason. I once had a friend give me a couple points when I first started collecting. I thought this point was just so awesome that I wanted a couple casts made. I took it to my friend who was a little hesitant and was asking me where I found it (because I have taken him dozens of authentic points I found). He didn't want to break my heart, so he did it and I ended up paying a lot of money for a modern replica cast:( My friend later told me it was a joke, and I promised myself to NEVER take anything too seriously that I didn't find...

Re: Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3439

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 596
Modern.

Re: Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3453

• wmwallace
  • Thank you received: 40
Rob, even though I agree with the crew that it is modern, the maker was surely talented. There was an old timer that had a frame of these and swore he found them from Ohio. Yet all the experienced hunters I knew never even found a piece of one, some hunting more than 60 years in the same area. That convinced me that they didn't exist up here for sure. Nonetheless it is a nicely made and looks to be fairly old, meaning as Cliff said probably 40's or 50's era.

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #3512

• mike2
I just happened to be curious about this same topic. My step dads, grandfather found a fish hook about 80 years ago by Fort Bend county, Tx. He found it when the Brazos river was really low. The one I have is a little bigger and has a barb. It has been years since I have pulled it out but I dont remember it being flint either. When I get home in a couple weeks I will take some pictures of it and post.

Re:Fish Hook? 3 years 7 months ago #4664

• spanky
  • Thank you received: 332
I have a fish hook also that i got from a friends Grandpa who collected in Mo. and Ar. He was given alot of nice points and in that group was 26 flint fish hooks. Going from 3/4 in. to about 2 1/4 in. The bad thing was no info was passed down with the points that he recieved. I showed my hook to a Kansas Archaeologist and they have never seen one they said maybe could of been worn as a pendant but didn't think that was it. Made to sell to collectors, couldn't give a time frame. I have a pic of it will see if I can post it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds