Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Turtle Effigy

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16060

• CMD
  • Rhode Island, the Ocean State
  • Thank you received: 3890
Found on Narragansett Bay in 1936. Made of sandstone. I think the ancient artisan did a great job with just a little sandstone pebble to work with. Turtle is my best guess.

Sandstone_Effigy_006.JPG
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by CMD.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16061

• CMD
Close up of head....

image_2013-11-28-10.jpg
Attachments:

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16062

• Butch Wilson
  • Thank you received: 1184
Now that's a cute little feller.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16063

• CMD
From the side view, you can see there is a recess behind the head...

Sandstone_Effigy_013.JPG

From the back, you might not even pick it up!

image_2013-11-28-11.jpg

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16064

• turkeytail
  • Advisor
  • Thank you received: 1138
Didnt see turtle on 1st two pictures but thirds a charm! Very cool piece Charlie!!

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16065

• Butch Wilson
Hey Pam, you gotta see this. Symmetry, obvious workmanship, you ain't gotta squinch up your eyes or nuthin'
Butch :ohmy:
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Butch Wilson.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16068

• Paleolution
  • Thank you received: 277
WOW, that is a sweet find! Finally, someone posts an actual effigy, I'm glad to see this on here so people can take note on how much it's worked, how symmetrical, and how obvious the features are. Thanks for sharing!

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16069

• CMD
I must admit, one of the main reasons I posted this was to contrast it with the many "geofact effigies" of recent months.

Charlie

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16073

• roustabout149
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 251
Butch, what did I post, that made you have to squint your eyes? Charlie has posted an awesome effigy made from a completely different type of material. Sweet turtle, Charlie!!! There is also recession in my post. It is that part of the piece, that without, would be a, "flat or round rock." The knap, or flaking, is what creates the image. I don't know what you're squinting to see. Maybe if you don't squint, you would see it!" :)

Charlie, sweet, sweet, turtle. My sister collects turtles. If ya' ever have an inkling to sell the piece, let me know! She would never have another like it! So cool!

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16078

• Butch Wilson
Easy there Pam, you still talkin' bout that buffalo rock you picked up ? I think there was this Indian out looking for some material to make him some new tools out of. He knocked that chunk off a bigger rock, picked it up and told his hunting buddies, "Ain't that something, kinda looks like a white buffalo...to bad it ain't no good for making a point out of". He then chunked it down, cause his wife had enough odd shaped rocks in her rock garden he dragged home. If it was gonna be a effigy, he would have done a lot of finish work on it while he and his buddies were sitting around the campfire toasting marshmallows and drinkin' Falstaff and his wife was doin' all the real work cookin' dinner. Thats just my opinion, everybody on here got one ! Keep pickin' up them rocks, ain't this a great hobby. :cheer:

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16080

• roustabout149
  • Banned
Butch Wilson wrote:
Easy there Pam, you still talkin' bout that buffalo rock you picked up ? I think there was this Indian out looking for some material to make him some new tools out of. He knocked that chunk off a bigger rock, picked it up and told his hunting buddies, "Ain't that something, kinda looks like a white buffalo...to bad it ain't no good for making a point out of". He then chunked it down, cause his wife had enough odd shaped rocks in her rock garden he dragged home. If it was gonna be a effigy, he would have done a lot of finish work on it while he and his buddies were sitting around the campfire toasting marshmallows and drinkin' Falstaff and his wife was doin' all the real work cookin' dinner. Thats just my opinion, everybody on here got one ! Keep pickin' up them rocks, ain't this a great hobby. :cheer:

Butch, that's just downright silly. :silly: You're the one who mentioned above that I should see this effigy. What were you talking about? Most effigies have the formation of the animal or whatever, not the complete detail. Even the awesome effigy posted doesn't look exactly like a turtle, but we agree that it is one...right?
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by roustabout149.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16083

• Butch Wilson
As silly as it may be, that's called a analogy. I was hoping you would see the amount of work this artist put into a rock that resembled a animal. There is a lot of modification to this piece to achieve the symmetry, balance and overall presentation. The white buffalo, on the other hand does not exhibit any of this. Granted there are flakes taken from it. More than likely to test its suitability for knapping. The inclusions that make it resemble a buffalo are the very inclusions that make it unsuitable for knapping into a useable tool. If there was something spiritual about it I am sure the "artist" would have put forth the effort to complete it. Therefore, it's a chunk of flint.
Butch
Thanks for posting the Turtle Effigy Charlie, what a great piece.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Butch Wilson.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16086

• roustabout149
  • Banned
Butch, I am not going to waste any more time on this gentleman's post. If you want to see more time and effort on the White Bison, check out the other side of the artifact.

Best Wishes, Pam

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16087

• turkeytail
  • Advisor
  • Thank you received: 1138
Pam, that piece was intensionally altered by man to replicate the image of a turtle. The white buffalo just happens to look like one, it was not on purpose. Mark.

A Turtle Effigy 3 years 5 months ago #16088

• roustabout149
  • Banned
Charlie, excuse the interuption. It won't happen again. Also, if ya' ever come up with a price on the turtle...let me know. I bet the odds are, "It ain't for sale!!!"

Priceless :)
  • Page:
Moderators: turkeytail
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds