Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie

Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23483

• greywolf22
  • Thank you received: 597
Dr Thomas Hester states. "This lanceolate point has deep basal concavity, more than 4mmm, that varies from a flattened inverted V to recurved. The basal corners or ears are somewhat flared. The basal edges and concavity are heavily ground. It is wider, and heavier, than Plainview, and the flaking is generally unpatterned. It is found in South Central Texas and the Lower Pecos."

This is one that was in my collection. The basal corners have intentionally been ground down on this one:
33TX-20110808.jpg

A very nice one out of petrified wood:
golondrina2-20110808.jpg

Other side:
wcspgolondrina1-20110808.jpg

Jack
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by greywolf22.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Golondrina 3 years 2 months ago #23484

• chase
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • sometimes you eat the Bear and some times the Bear eats you!
  • Thank you received: 3680
what is the date for these points? very nice work. but to my untrained eye still looks like a plainview.
Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Re: Golondrina 3 years 2 months ago #23485

• greywolf22
Chase

Transitional Paleo: 7000 to 9000 years old. Believed to be related to the Dalton. Plainview does not have the flare on the ears and the deep notching.

Jack

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23486

• Neanderthal
  • Thank you received: 290
Do you get La Tierra? David Calame wrote a good article (vol 33 2006:87-90) on Golondrina of Duval Co. Texas. Not all Golondrina have a deeply concave (recurved) base, but the vast majority of them sure do. The problem with Plainview, Goshen, Golondrina and a myriad of other early lanceolates, is that in many cases they are relying on outdated information. Goshen and Plainview are arguably the same point. Everything "else" lanceolate people are tending to lump into Plainview simply because they don't know what else to call it.

I'm not sure I agree with Golondrina being related to the Dalton point, but it's possible. To conclude that it's only a spatial difference, one would also have to say the same of Scottsbluff and Hardin - but that very well end up being the case. I still get a kick out of how collectors refer to Scotties as paleo and Hardin as early archaic, yet Hardin have been found of a greater age. Semantics.

It could just be that I'm biased or something (my wife has a much more colorful word for it, and says I'm getting worse with age). One of my peeves is how "Dalton" is stuck on every serrated, shallow side notch or auricled-lanceolate east of the Mississippi (and to the west even). In fact, I wrote an article about that very subject in the last CSAJ.

Very nice Golondrinas Jack! I especially love that second one, what a stellar piece.

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23487

• painshill
  • Surrey, UK
  • Thank you received: 2715
Jack, you have an amazing collection - I just love the petrified wood example.

[PS: with your permission, I will move this thread to "Indian Artifacts and Arrowheads" - which I guess is where you intended it to be - since I have the access rights for moving posts now. But I will do it at a quite time... not when there are people viewing, in case it all goes pear-shaped! :blink: )

Roger
Roger (redcoat typology dunce)

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23490

• greywolf22
Roger, sure you can move it. Not sure how it got put where it got put.

Jack

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23492

• greywolf22
Matt

I need to take it. I have had several of my artifacts pictured in it. I used to pick up copies at the Temple show. I know David Calame but have not talked to him in several years. Love talking to him.

Jack

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23504

• rmartin
  • from the great state of confusion
  • Thank you received: 4039
Jack, that pet wood one is a work of art! What else can you say! Where was it found? Ray
Sometimes I can.....sometimes I can't....Sometimes I just don't try

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23508

• greywolf22
It was found in Central Texas.

Jack

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23513

• ZmajSnoshaj
  • Thank you received: 19
I can see how it was related to the Dalton. Awesome point!

~Noah

Re:Golondrina - Used to Be Called Golondrina Plainvie 3 years 2 months ago #23600

• greywolf22
Noah

Thanks. It is a sweet point.

Jack
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds